Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Believe in Me

Before I post the poem Believe in Me. I'm not really sure whether my readers just have not had the chance to read the last three poems or whether they were just so weirded out that they stopped reading altogether, so here's what I'm going to do. Here's a list of the remaining poems of mine that I will be posting on this site (because so far I have been entirely too lazy and haven't had quite enough time to find one of the poems I like (written by an actual poet) and comment on it).
Go ahead and let me know which one you would like to hear next in the comments, and please feel free to comment on the poem of that post as well. Here's the list:

-Not Today
-Cuts and Burns
-Too Late
-Fight for Us
xThe View
-Fight the Fight
xBittersweet Goodbye
xThank You
xWinter Wonderland
-Alone
-Ugly Duckling
-Goodbye

A couple of these poems I not sure about putting on this page...I'm kind of apprehensive about sharing them, because they tell too much about my past...but I suppose I'll just hope my readers don't find interest in hearing about. ehheh. I suppose I'll try to explain them a little if the time comes to share them.

Now for the poem for this post. I wrote this years ago when I was fighting for change, but I didn't know how to do it. I guess you could say I'm made up of sticks and stones, sometimes I'm okay, even when things are hard. Sometimes I fall apart at touch of a gentle breeze. I struggled a lot with self-worth then, I wasn't exactly taught to think well of myself. So this poem was in the midst of fighting to think with hope, though I didn't know how. I was trying to change my environment, though it was truly a fight, it still is at times. I'm sure this is something we all face at times, whether it's when we got lost at five years old and when they found us, we wanted our parents to smile and be there to tell us it would be all better even if we didn't think so at the time, or when we're sixteen, still lost, and can't find the confidence to believe that we deserve friends that build us up, that care about our well-being, struggling to make sense of the things that happen and whether it's our fault or not, and trying to find reason to hope.  This was to a friend at the time, and the friends to come that would have to put up with this side of me. I don't know how else to really explain it...sorry. Here it is.

Believe in Me

I'm standing here
I need your help
Everything feels so foreign
It hurts so much
So here's a favor I have to ask of you
I need you to do what I don't
I need you to smile
I need you to tell me it's okay
I'm not as bad as I think I am
I'm not alone
I need you to tell me I can do it
I need this even when I say otherwise
I know it's hard
It gets tiring
To tell me the same things again and again
But I'm trying to learn what I don't know
I'm trying to believe in what I don't see
Can you remember,
a time when you felt the way I do now?
Didn't you need what I'm asking for?
What I need too?
I don't believe in myself
That's why I need you to believe for me
That's why I need you to believe what I can be
Because I just can't seem to...
© copyright 2004

1 comment: